Translate

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

 Finished: Lincoln in the Bardo (Saunders) What am amazing book!! It will definitely go somewhere on my list of top books. I'm not even sure how to explain it, but it's so well done. It is a cross between excerpts taken from real publications about Lincoln in his day and from real people who knew him; and several fictional "characters" who narrate the story of Lincoln's time spent at the graveyard on the day his precious eleven year old son, Willie, is buried after his tragic death; and the imagined innermost thoughts, turmoils, memories and regrets of Lincoln as he visits the lifeless form of his boy; and the dialogue of young Willie's very confused spirit, stuck between life and the hereafter, not sure what he is supposed to do or where he is supposed to go. All he knows is that his father is there and grieving and he can't communicate with him in any way. It's so heartbreaking, but so, so interesting and well written. I will need some time to digest the book, but know that I will not soon forget this one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment